I have two affordable (drugstore) makeup posts coming this week, but this first one is all about some easy transitions to take your summer makeup into the fall (keep reading – because I’m sharing some fall-budget-friendly outfit ideas too). I find it to be a struggle to jump right into fall – although, the weather here in Charlotte is making that transition a little easier right now (we all know that won’t stay for long though). We go from the hot and humid days of summer, where we tend to wear less makeup because a more (desired) sheer, dewy look that goes hand-in-hand with those long summer nights… right into heavy sweater-weather and rich tones, which lends itself to a time when you can go all out with your makeup. Instead of changing everything at once, maybe start with your eyes and make your way to your lips.
When I think ‘fall,’ I gravitate towards a bronzed smokey eyes that fade into jewel tones. I think of swapping out that bubble gum cheek for something that has more peach or plum based undertones. I think of a bold lip (I know matte is “in,” but it’s not for me, so I still stick with the gloss). I think of heavy liners, against a subtle contour. There is also something so beautiful of a playdown face with a super dramatic lip. This time of year can remain as carefree as what you may have been used to in the summer, but I will challenge you to step out of your comfort zone as we approach Autumn! Have fun! I don’t think you can go wrong and fall is the one season where… less isn’t necessarily more.
In the fall of 2017, I fell in love with olive and jewel-toned eyeliners. I used a beautiful green liner on a bride who was getting married in Jackson Hole, and we used that eyeliner to transition her makeup from ceremony to the reception. It was stunning and just a subtle change. If you head to my highlight reel and watch my saved video labeled “Fall Makeup” and I show how to apply a similar green eyeliner.
1. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick: An easy way to transition into fall is just by simply changing up your lipstick. I love a plum – it’s easier for me to wear than red. This particular lipstick is infused with silk and vitamins for smooth, conditioning color with buildable color payoff. Color: Plumalicious
2. Maybelline New York The 24K Nudes Eyeshadow: I love warming up my shadows in the cozy months. Simply add browns, golds, plums, and jewel tones. I love a good olive green on the eye. The shadow colors blend beautifully, but you will have to build as the payoff is pretty light – so just add a little more than normal.
3. Milani Silky Matte Bronzing Powder: I love a good highlighter and cheek sheen, however in the fall I usually go for a matte bronzer cheek, and I pair that with a blush that has a little luminosity/ shimmer instead of doing a high sheen highlighter. Lots of sheen on the cheek screams summer to me! Also, this bronzer is my dupe to the Tom Ford bronzer! This Milani matte bronzer is in color, “Sun Kissed”. It’s an ultra-smooth Silky Matte Bronzing Powder creates a buildable, sun-kissed finish that blends seamlessly into the skin without streaking or fading. The long-wear formula can be used to subtly contour or add warmth to the complexion.
4. Maybelline Lasting Drama Matte Eyeliner: I love adding a touch of a jewel tone (my go-to color is green) into the outer corner of my eyes. It just warms the look and enhances the eye. If you go to my highlight reel on my Instagram page, you can watch the saved video labeled, “Fall Makeup” and last year I demonstrated how to use a similar green eyeliner. This $4 eyeliner is fantastic! Right and intense with a creamy matte finish. It reminds me of the Stila waterproof eyeliner that I’ve talked about.
5. Milani Keep It Full Lipgloss: This has always been a go to and a product that I’ve raved about. I don’t use it because of the plumping effect – in fact, I don’t think it really plumps at all. I LOVE it as a lipgloss. It’s nourshing, it’s not sticky and the colors are just gorgeous! Color: Rosewood.
6. NYX Cosmetics Powder Blush: This is such a close duplicate to NARS, “Orgasm” which is such a beautiful color to transition into the fall with. This blush by NYX is radiant with a tasteful sheen. Rich in pigments and long wearing. Color: Pinched.
6. Milani Baked Blush: I’ve talked about this Milani blush for some time as well! It’s richly pigmented and highly buildable, the beautiful matte and shimmery shades have a touch of radiance that adds a bit of a glow – nothing too overwhelming though. Color: Rose D’oro.
8. Maybelline Superstay 24HR Foundation: I’ve talked about this foundation before, and I truly LOVE it! It honestly really reminds me of the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation and the Too Faced Born This Way Foundation – it’s a natural, matte finish and has a demi glow effect without a harsh dewy look. It doesn’t separate on my skin – a lot of foundations around the 5-hour mark I’ll find myself using oil blotter sheets or dabbing up the excess with a beauty blender, and that’s not needed with this foundation. There’s a reason this was the overall winner of the Allure Best in Beauty Away in 2019! Although, this foundation is classified as “full coverage,” it feels unbelievably light on the skin, and my personal favorite is that the formula is designed to minimize skin imperfections and it does just that.
For: Oily skin and combination skin
Coverage: Full coverage
I wanted to also include a few affordable wardrobe pieces from Walmart’s fall collection. Although, it’s still pretty warm in Charlotte, I thought these pieces will be easy to wear during the heat and as we approach fall. I’m loving that olive green dress ($16) that is belted and how cute in that overall/ jumpsuit ($18)?
SHOP FALL AFFORDABLE MAKEUP
SHOP FALL AFFORDABLE CLOTHING
Thank you to Walmart for partnering on this post and thank you all for supporting my blog. All products, content, ideas, purchases and reviews are of my own. Although, this post was a partnership, I was given the freedom to share the products that fit my brand, my style and my family.
Affiliate links are used in this post & at times results in a small profit – your support has allowed me to share my dream and I’m beyond grateful to each and every one of you. Xo.