I’m a masker and multitasker, and I have been for ten years. My masking journey started before my wedding at the age of 26. If you’ve been around here for a while, then you know I’m addicted to masking. I have to work hard at my skin. Harrrrrrrd. I might not be a regular at facials, but I stay true to good skincare products, and masking is just the icing on the cake.
At the age of thirty-six and tipping closing to fourty than ever, I can say that masks make a difference. It’s almost not an option in my day; my masking routine is built into my day! I don’t even think about it. I enjoy it. I love the way my skin feels during and after a mask. I love the tingle, the cooling, the tightness, the cracking; I love the smell. After changing diapers and wiping buns all day… mama needs something that feels and smells like the spa!
One of my most asked questions on Instagram this weekend was… “when do you have the time to mask?”
Masking and Multitasking
Some days, I mask in the morning, some days I mask in the evening, and if I’m feeling lucky, I’ll mask in the morning and the evening.
Morning Masking Routine
In the morning, after my feet hit the floor I go into the bathroom… take a quick makeup wipe and wipe off that night’s skincare products and I quickly apply a face mask. Once my mask is on, I go about my morning… I make the kiddos breakfast, pack lunches, unload the dishwasher, reload the dishwasher, etc. For me, it’s like a race against a clock. I have 20 minutes with this mask on, what can I get done.
Because I believe in masking and multitasking, I stay away from sheet masks (those are a slippery mess on me – I know they work great, but mama needs to move).
Once my 5-20 minutes is up, I wash the mask off my face and get ready for the day, which typically includes my 5-minute makeup routine and a lot of dry shampoo.
Evening Masking Routine
My evening masking routine is typically a little more zen (because the kids typically aren’t around). Once I leave the kiddos bedrooms, I go downstairs and directly head into my bathroom. If I try to flip laundry, clean up the playroom, etc. I’ll derail the plan and then masking won’t happen.
I wash my face. I always use this Demological face oil first before applying any water on my face. I massage this into my skin and it breaks up my makeup, dirt and mascara. I then wet my face, use facewash, tone before applying my mask. Once my mask is on, I’m a free woman to eat dinner, pick up the house, do laundry, answer emails, etc. OR watch tv. Once my mask has been on my face for the desired amount of time, I’ll rinse and then apply my serums, lotions, and creams.
Do I have a masking schedule?
Nope! Our skin has different needs, so I take it day by day. This time of year my skin is dehydrated and dull. When I’m stressed I breakout. I don’t think you need to have hundreds of masks. I look at masking as my hobby, and I just really enjoy them. Evaluate your skin needs and go from there. This time of year, we’re all longing for added moisture, so I have a few that you might love!
*This is a simple roundup of masks that have stood out to me over the years and made a difference in my skin.*
1. Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant: This has been in my rotation for a solid year and I’m still on my first bottle. A very thin layer is all you need. I will warn you, it smells awful but works wonders. It purifies, brightens, tones, and refreshes the complexion – it’s an overall balancing mask. It contains high concentrations of yeast, cucumber, and witch hazel extracts renowned for their skin purifying properties. *Leave on for 15 minutes.
2. Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Hydrating Mask with Avocado & Swiss Glacier Water: An ultra-moisturizing sleeping mask that instantly floods skin with moisture and keeps skin soft, smooth, happily hydrated for up to 72 hours.
3. Charlotte Tilbury Goddess Clay Mask: This award-winning, nutrient-rich mask makes skin baby soft in as little as 10 minutes. It instantly moisturizes and tightens pores, leaving you with a dewy, glowing complexion. Spanish clay absorbs oil and draws out impurities without drying the skin, essential oils hydrate skin and delay signs of aging, and charlotte’s patented BioNymph peptide complex supports collagen and elasticity. It’s one that will take you from zero to hero! *Leave on for 10 minutes.
4. Fresh Rose Face Mask: If you’ve been around here for a while then you know my love runs deep for this mask too. I used it thoug both pregnancies. It’s typically my morning go-to mask. It’s a bestselling mask with real rose petals suspended in a silky gel that hydrates and tones for supple, dewy skin. Delivers an intense glow, tightness pores and provides a decent amount of hydration. It’s a beautiful, gentle, soothing mask. *Leave on for 10 minutes.
5. Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask: Another mask that I’ve been using for years as well. It’s a natural beta-hydroxy treatment for an instantly refined and radiant complexion. This glow mask is formulated with two natural sources of BHA that gently exfoliate and clear the way for fruit enzymes and botanical extracts to cleanse skin and refine pores for a noticeably vibrant, instantly radiant complexion. *Leave on for 15-30 minutes.
6. Dunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial: Honestly, I didn’t get the hype on these products at first. I think because they’re so “clean” that I figured they might give me a 2-minute glow and that’s it. It’s a pro-quality AHA/BHA facial mask that resurfaces to reveal greater clarity, improved skin texture and tone, and a more youthful radiance – think of it as an extra nudge for stubborn, dull skin. *Leave on for 20 minutes.
7. Biologique Recherche Crème Masque Vernix: This is inspired by the properties of this natural protector, Creme Masque Vernix is rich in active ingredients such as proteins and antioxidants. This cream-mask is intensely hydrating, healing and reconditioning, giving the skin a “second birth.” You can also “sleep” in this mask. *Leave on for 10 minutes.
8. Origins Original Skin Retexturizing Mask with Rose Clay: This was a new(ish) purchase for me, and I cannot tell you how much I enjoy the Origins line of masks. Effective and relatively inexpensive. It’s a two-in-one purifying mask that draws out impurities and gently exfoliates to refine skin’s texture and boost radiance. Because it exfoliates I massage this into my skin to work that effolication factor. Smells beautiful too. *Leave on for 10 minutes.
9. Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Mask: Wasn’t going to include this because I only received a sample and typically I test items out for a sold amount of time before sharing, BUT this is one of those products that I can’t keep from y’all. It’s an overnight mask that deeply hydrates, plumps, and brightens with powerful, antioxidant-rich super berries and THD ascorbate (vitamin C). It’s thick, and you will sleep in this mask. My face felt unbelievably soft and hydrated, and I even put it around my eyes and on my lips too. This is a big fat purchase for me! Great for dryness, dullness and uneven texture, and loss of firmness and elasticity. *Sleep in this mask.
10. Biologique Recherche Mask VIP02: It’s an oxygenating and moisturizing mask that restores radiance to stressed, asphyxiated skin. Its formula is rich in moisturizing botanical ingredients and contains the Specific Biologique Recherche Oxygenating Complex which stimulates epidermal regeneration and revitalizes the skin. It is ideal to soothe sunburn and can be left in the refrigerator prior to use and applied in a thick layer to soothe and calm the skin. It is recommended for dull, tired and/or stressed skin. This is wonderful to sleep in and for a while, I was just using this mask as eye cream in the evening.
11. Sunday Riley Saturn Sulfur Acne Treatment Mask: I recently started using this because of those pesky little ance bumps along my jawline and mouth. This is a fast-acting, medicated 10 percent sulfur treatment mask that helps fight multiple forms of acne while preventing future breakouts. It worked for me! *Leave on for 20-30 minutes.
12. Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pores: This is similar to the Revisions Black Mask and the Beauty Counter Charcoal Mask. This is an ultra-purifying mask to deep clean and visibly reduce pores. *Leave on for 10 minutes.
13. Laneige Water Sleeping Mask: This is one of the best face mask for dry skin. It’s a Korean based skincare company, and we all know they have the most flawless skin! It’s an overnight (hence the name, “sleeping mask”), moisture-recharging gel mask that quickly absorbs while you sleep to deeply hydrate skin. This mask helps to repair the skin cells overnight, and it’s beyond nourishing to the skin. It’s formulated with highly concentrated Hydro Ionized Mineral Water to deliver high doses of moisture to stressed, parched skin. It also has a calming scent.
14. Revisions Black Mask: Ladies, this was my first skincare mask that I ever owned. I purchased it before my wedding and wore it religiously leading up to my big day. It’s an intensive mask with a moist after-feel deep cleans the skin, ridding it of impurities and excess sebum. It purifies and soothes skin with unique properties of Silt derived from European freshwater lakes and contains the highest quality earth clays to unclog pores and absorb excess oil. Skin By Blair talks a lot about the Revisions products and you can purchase through her if you want to support local. I’ve also linked it here. *Leave one 20 minutes.
15. Caudalie Glycolic Peel: This is another one that I used for years too. A gentle glycolic acid (AHA) peel mask to reveal softer, brighter, and more even skin. Great for pores, oiliness, dullness and uneven texture. *Leave on for 10 minutes.
SHOP THIS POST
Affiliate links are used in this post & at times results in a small profit. Thank you for supporting my blog. Xo.